Response to the Non-Criminal Barricade
Disengagement and Special Relationships
May 20, 2022
Stanislaus County Sheriff’s Region Training Center - Classroom 4
3805 Cornucopia Way
Modesto, CA 95358
8am - 5pm
Hosted by the Stanislaus County Sheriff's Department
POST Control Number:#1345-23047-21-010
The way law enforcement officers respond to a mentally ill person in crisis is a topic of intense debate. If you are like a lot of law enforcement professionals you've considered these questions:
- What should officers do with a suicidal person alone in their own home who refuses to exit?
- Do officers have a legal duty to take action to try to save the subject from harming themselves?
- When is it appropriate to disengage from a non-criminal barricaded suspect and will officers be found liable if the subject harms a third party?
In this course, we'll first answer each of those questions and discuss the relevant laws about liability, the "special relationship doctrine" and the "public duty doctrine". We'll examine several case studies, and why some officers and agencies were found liable. Through dramatic body-cam debriefs of actual non-criminal barricade incidents, you'll learn why things went wrong. You'll walk away with modern tactics your agency can use to both limit liability and prevent violent confrontations.
Each student will receive:
- A simple three-page decision making cheat sheet to help guide your decision making regarding when to engage, disengage and re-engage.
- A collection of non-criminal barricade policies from progressive police agencies around the U.S.
- The specific laws you need to know to keep yourself and your agency on solid legal ground.
Pay By Credit Card
To pay by credit card, please enter the student information below and proceed to checkout using a credit card by pressing the "Register" button.
Pay By Invoice
To register students and request that an invoice be sent for payment, you may request that an invoice be sent to your department instead of checking out with a credit card.
Request an Invoice
- Disengagement and Special Relationships
- May 20, 2022
- Stanislaus County Sheriff’s Region Training Center - Classroom 4
- 3805 Cornucopia Way
- Modesto, CA 95358
- Hosted by the Stanislaus County Sheriff's Department
- 8am - 5pm
- Plan N/A
28 in stock